You've probably heard of the word "autoresponder" in email marketing, but do you understand what it means or how it works? Autoresponders are a really slick way of automating email campaigns. If you want to save time or ramp up sales, consider their benefits.
I admit, it took me a while to wrap my head around the word. Mostly, because it has the word "responder" in it which implies that it responds back for you.
It really should be called auto messenger, auto promoter, auto sales letter, auto newsletter or auto trainer because it sends automated messages for you in the order you define. Auto-responders are also called follow up messages. You can choose daily, weekly, monthly, bi-weekly, twice daily, or any frequency you like. You must plan your campaign, create the content and pre-load the messages, but the system does the sending, or follow up, for you.
The system is useful for blogs, newsletters, training materials, incentives, special offers, tips or any kind of message you want to use to stay in touch with customers, sell products, inform, prompt, promote or remind.
Here is an example of how it can work:
1) When someone signs up to your e-newsletter, it automatically asks the user to double opt-in by confirming their email address. (You have the option to turn the double opt-in off, but it is recommended to keep it.)
2) Once the email is confirmed, it sends a thank you note and tells your reader how often to expect your newsletter or tells them whatever message you pre-load.
3) After the thank you note is sent, it sends out the first edition of your newsletter.
4) One week later, it sends the next edition of the newsletter.
5) A week after that, it sends the third edition...and so on.
The emails can be sent in plain text format or html (pretty pictures).
Here is an example of a 52 Tips Weekly E-Newsletter by my good client Stephen Hammond who uses the Aweber system.
Aweber is recognized as one of the leading email marketing softwares to use auto-responders. (Disclosure: I am an affiliate.)
What I also find useful with this system are the email sign up forms that I can create myself using their system. (Make sure you work in Firefox and not Internet Explorer when you are creating these.)
If you are interested in starting an email campaign, contact me.
Thanks for reading.